News

Common DIY Mold Removal Mistakes You Need to Avoid at All Costs

Published May 19th, 2020 by Devteam

Mold infestations is a well-known health hazard for people with weak lungs. New research suggests that healthy people can develop upper respiratory problems from mold exposure. 

Mold flourishes in humid climates. It hides in nooks and crannies you don't normally clean. 

Left unchecked, hidden mold spreads spores through the air. Before you know it, you've got a serious mold problem throughout your home.

If you catch it early, DIY mold removal could solve the problem. But you have to be careful. Use this guide to keep your home mold-free.

Don't Choose the Wrong Cleaning Supplies

Mold loves to grow on porous surfaces like drywall and wood. Traditional cleaners don't work well on these surfaces. Instead of cleaning, they give mold more water to feed on.

Mold is frustrating to clean. But remember, using more cleaning products isn't necessarily better. In your quest to clean up mold, you could accidentally create hazardous chemicals.

These chemicals include:

  • Bleach + Ammonia - Creates chloramine, which causes chest pain and breathing problems
  • Bleach + Vinegar - Produces chlorine gas that irritates the eyes and lungs
  • Bleach + Alcohol - Creates chloroform, which in large amounts leads to respiratory failure

There is no DIY solution for cleaning mold off porous surfaces because they all contain water.

Applying Paint Over the Problem

Mold-killing paints sound like a perfect solution to your problem, right? Unfortunately, they don't work as a one-stop mold-killing process.

These paints are designed to apply to walls after a thorough mold remediation process. All the mold must be killed before the paint goes on. 

When you apply paint over mold, you trap the mold against the wall. It will continue to grow under the paint, releasing harmful spores even though you can't see it.

Keeping Mold-Infested Items

Mold doesn't care where it grows, so long as it has moisture to feed on.

When dealing with a serious mold problem, that means any porous surface in your home is at risk.

Common surfaces for mold to infest include:

  • Curtains
  • Carpet
  • Wallpaper
  • Upholstered Furniture
  • Wooden Furniture

No matter how well you clean these items, they still retain mold spores. The moment those spores have access to moisture, they will grow and spread. It's best to throw them away and buy replacements after mold remediation.

Ignoring the HVAC System

HVAC systems create an ideal space for mold to grow. They're damp and maintain a steady temperature year-round.

Any time an infected system runs, it spreads mold spores through the entire house.

Once mold gets into your HVAC system, you cannot fix the problem yourself.

When you notice mold in your HVAC system, turn it off. Call a mold remediation company that specializes in HVAC systems. They will take care of the problem as soon as possible.

DIY Mold Removal May Not Fix the Problem

For small mold infestations, you can try DIY mold removal.

Make sure to use a cleaning solution that doesn't contain a lot of water. Allow the affected area to dry well. Most importantly, be ready to call in a mold remediation company if the problem is worse than you originally thought.

Contact American Emergency Restoration & Reconstruction Services to schedule a mold remediation consultation today.

‹ Back