News

Damp Houses and COVID-19: How it Affects Your Immune System

Published December 1st, 2020 by Devteam

There's no doubt you've been spending more time at home this year. Thanks to COVID-19, lockdowns and restrictions have meant less going out and more staying in.

Spending that much time at home might have made you look around your house and notice things that would have otherwise escaped your eye.

Areas of damp on your walls or patches of mold can be unsightly, but they can also be troublesome for your health. Mold can cause a weak immune system, which can, in turn, make you more likely to catch COVID-19.

Read on to discover how this happens, and what you can do about it.

What is Mold?

The most commonly found type of mold in houses is black mold. This is a type of microfungus which grows in environments with high moisture. It can be quite difficult to move and has several detrimental health effects.

Mold releases spores into the air. These spores contain mycotoxins which are damaging to human health and can weaken the immune system. This, of course, puts people at a higher risk of catching COVID-19.

How Does Mold Contribute to a Weak Immune System?

There have been several studies that connect one's environment to the immune system. What we eat and drink is a factor, but also what we breathe.

When someone breathes in the mycotoxins contained in airborne mold spores, these toxins cause irritation in the lungs. This can lead to a number of symptoms, including a cough, headache, runny nose, and even asthma attacks.

If you live in an environment that has mold, changing nothing will not allow your body to recover. With your body working overtime to constantly fight off the symptoms caused by the mold, it leaves you susceptible to further illnesses.

There is also evidence that infections can actually alter the body's immune parameters, and this can include infections caused by mold.

If you regularly feel unwell, or illnesses like colds take longer to recover from, these could be signs of a weakened immune system. You should consider having your property assessed for mold.

How Do I Get Rid of Damp and Mold?

If you've discovered mold in your home, it's important to make sure you take the right steps to get rid of it since we know that a weakened immune system can be caused by mold.

Do not simply try and brush or hoover the mold. This will agitate the surface and cause more spores to be released into the air. The best thing you can do for yourself, your home, and your family is have the mold professionally assessed and treated.

If your home has areas of damp, it is likely that the conditions will be perfect for mold to grow. You can prevent mold growth with anti-mold paint, but the best preventative measure is to eradicate the cause of the damp.

Protect Yourself from Coronavirus

In order to give yourself the best chance of keeping COVID-19 at bay, or fighting it successfully if you do catch it, it's important to do what you can to make sure you don't have a weak immune system.

Give us a call and see how we can help make sure the environment you live in isn't causing you to be more at risk than you need to be.

 

‹ Back