The Dangers of Mold In Your Home and Office
Did you know that in many homes, the air quality is worse than it is outside? There's a good chance that you're breathing in mold without realizing it. There are various forms of mold that are common in households. When it comes to your health, some are worse than others.
Indoor mold growth is never a good thing. Mold produces microscopic spores that become airborne and then get inhaled by the inhabitants of a home or building.
Once inhaled, these spores can create a myriad of health complications. This is where the dangers of mold become real.
Keep reading to learn about the risks mold can pose to you and your family.
The Dangers of Mold
Everyone's had some contact with mold. It can grow pretty much anywhere that's dark and moist. The problem is, dark and moist places are often out of sight, out of mind.
It's important to check these places for mold often to avoid the potential dangers of mold to our health.
Sadly, depression has been linked to exposure to mold over a long period. Mold is a fungus, and some strains are toxic not only to the body but to the brain as well.
Mold exposure, especially in children, can often lead to the development of asthma. The presence of mold spores in the lungs can make it difficult to breathe, causing temporary and long-term asthma.
3. Nausea and Vomiting
As suggested before, one of the main dangers of mold is its toxicity. If you breathe it in over long periods, it could make you ill. Mold exposure can eventually lead to extreme nausea and vomiting.
4. Chronic Allergy Symptoms
If you live in a home or work in an office with mold, breathing in the spores can give you chronic allergy symptoms.
These symptoms include headaches, coughing, sneezing, nasal congestion, rashes, and itching.
5. Other Complications
Some people are more at risk than others from the dangers of mold. For example, immune-compromised people may develop severe lung infections. In this case, mold can pose a serious threat and may even be deadly.
Signs of Mold
Part of protecting yourself and your family from the dangers of mold is limiting your exposure. You need to know the signs of mold in your home. Remember, it generally won't be in plain sight, so you may have to do some digging.
If you see mold anywhere, it's a problem. Mold can appear as yellow, brown, gray, blue, black, slimy, furry, etc. However, you'll know it when you see.
Mold also has a distinct smell. It has a musty odor that is universally recognizable. However, if you're smelling it, you're most likely breathing in spores.
Whether you can see mold or not, water damage is a huge red flag that there is mold in your home. If the water damage is recent, you may have time to dry things out and avoid the dangers of mold.
Another indicator that mold may be present is excess moisture. Areas like bathrooms, crawlspaces, or basements with poor ventilation are a hotspot for mold.
The best thing you can do if you find mold is to act immediately!
However, you have to remove mold. It won't go away on its own. Additionally, mold removal can be harmful to your health. If you don't do it correctly, it can lead to more spores in the air.
It's best to hire a professional mold remover for maximum potency and safety. Check out some of the services we offer to save your home from the dangers of mold.